Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Book Review of Zombies

Written by Don Roff and Chris Lane

Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection

So I read this really quick because a friend lent it to me a few weeks ago and I am expecting he is going to want it back soon. First off, illustrations are fantastic. There is a wide variety of different inks used which make it a visually stunning piece of work. Now, I don't know about you, but zombies aren't REALLY my thing. I have tried to get into the whole lore of it all, mainly because I have a few close friends who are _obsessed_ with them, and do the whole "zombies WILL come one day" thing and the "lets go do the zombie walk" other thing...which baffles me to no end. So for their sakes and for my expanding library, I asked them for some zombie literature.

"Zombies" is an account of a fictional (or IS HE?..dun dun duunnnnn) character who survives an outbreak of a zombie-making infection that sweeps across the world. The flow of the graphic novel is journal style, with all the gory pictures and descriptions to boot! Honestly, I really think you must love zombies to love zombie lit. I think zombies and their stories are _okay_ but in my honest opinion, I like a villain who is clever, and zombies lack all cleverness as a rule! The art is amazing though, so as a graphic novel, it's worth the read, or even an addition if you are a collector. I very much appreciated the use of India ink and watercolours. I am never a fan, however, of the "handwritten font" which is using a font that looks like handwriting, but you can tell that every Y is the same, etc. If you are going to take the time to draw such detail of a zombie ripping at a human's neck, with the blood splattering and the tendons flailing, why not ACTUALLY hand write it as well? Authenticity!

I give this book 3.5 out of 5 zombie thumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment